Friday, April 27, 2012

Mother - Daughter road trip

Last month I thought it would be fun to organize a road trip with my 17 year old daughter. We wanted to go some place not too far away but far enough where we felt like we were on a road trip.

We decided to go to Memphis. We have both always wanted to see Graceland. The distance/ drive time was just about perfect.

First task after the destination was decided? SHOPPING!
We are only going to be gone fro 3 days but that somehow justified buying a weeks worth of clothes, shoes and make up.

Second task? PLANNING!
I made a list of tourist websites to check out and printed a Memphis guide. I believe that you need to plan in advance so that you can see everything you want. There is nothing worse that being someplace and upon your return home, realizing that the worlds largest frying pan was only 2 miles from your hotel. My travel mantra is plan, plan, plan. My daughter, not so much. She has more of a free spirited personality which is great but it interferes with my planning! Yes there is a lot to be said for spontaneity but there is plenty of time to be spontaneous during our 'free time' on Saturday between 4-6pm. : )

Third thing on the list? GRACELAND TICKETS
The first two tour times we wanted were already booked. Luckily, our third choice for 9:30 am was available. Another fine example of why planning ahead is necessary. People come from all over the world to visit Graceland. If we didn't by tickets in advance, maybe we wouldn't get in at all! Learned this one the hard way with hubby. He always makes fun of me for being a planner and making lists for everything. A few years ago he took me to my favorite place, San Francisco for my birthday. BUT, I wasn't allowed to plan anything. As a result, we missed the boat to Alcatraz. We could have caught the next one...3 days later.

Next task? HOTEL!
Having been through Memphis a few times, I knew where I did NOT want to stay. After extensive research I went to Priceline and named my own price for a hotel. I LOVE this site. It has saved us hundreds of dollars of the years. We got a 4 star hotel in the area I wanted for $70 a night. Awesome!

The only thing left to do is make a packing list : )





No comments:

Post a Comment